Church of Agios Therapontas
The church of Agios Therapontas is situated in the centre of the village. The construction of the church began in 1816 and was completed in 1880. The inauguration ceremony took place in November 1910 by the Metropolitan Bishop Meletios.
According to tradition, the church of Agios Therapontas was constructed at the point indicated by the Saint himself while he was passing by the village. More specifically, the Saint had seen a lit candle at the point where the church is today and mentioned it to a shepherd named Christoforos. After this incident, the church was built at the point where the Saint had seen the lit candle.
Inside the church there is a wood-carven chancel. It is one of the three chancels which were carved in Cyprus by the sculptor Giavopoulos.
The memory of the Saint is celebrated on the 14th of October and on the 27th of May. Many loyal Christians devoutly come to worship a piece of the holy remains of the Saint, which are treasured in our church.
Chapel of Agios Therapontas
The Chapel of Agios Therapontas was built in 1986 and it is situated next to the holy water of the Saint. The holy water spurts at the point where Agios Therapontas, on his way to Vouni, became thirsty and found water by hitting the earth with his arrow. Access to both the chapel and the place of the holy water, is very easy.
Chapel of Agios Georgios
The chapel of Agios Georgios is situated east of the village. It was built in 1996 in a Byzantine rhythm and the expenses were covered by Kypros Loizides.
Chapel of Agion Theodoron and Myroforon
Previously, on the west of the village there used to be a chapel dedicated to Agious Theodorous and Myrofores. It was a Basilica church. Unfortunately, the chapel was washed up by the waters of the river and it was rebuilt.
Chapel of Agia Paraskevi
n our village, there is a chapel dedicated to Agia Paraskevi. The chapel of Agia Paraskevi is also a Basilica.
Chapel of Panagia Chrisospiliotissa
South of the village there is a small chapel, of Byzantine rhythm, dedicated to Panagia Chrisospiliotissa. The chapel was built in 1928 and it was renovated several years later, in 1982 and in 2000, without altering its architecture. According to tradition, the chapel was built at the place of an older church, nothing of which is preserved today.
It is worth mentioning that beneath the church there are caves in which pillar saints used to live. At the time when Christians were persecuted, the caves constituted the shelter of the pillar saints. They were thrown food and fruits from a hole on the cave. Additionally, in order to get water, they had a basin in which they gathered the water from the rain.
Chapel of Agion Saranta Martyron
The chapel of Agion Saranta Martyron, according to the residents of the village, was built in 1980 at the place of an older church. Nowadays, there are no traces of the older church. The present church is a Basilica and it is situated northeast of the village.
Father Michael H’Ioannou
Mass of the Saint Holy-Martyr Therapontas the Thaumaturgy,
Chapel of Holy Cross
Chapel of Archistratigon